Sunday, September 8, 2024

Eagle Weslake: Back to the grind

In April 2017 I completed the BRM H16 that Jackie Stewart drove to second at the 1967 Belgian GP (click here). This was a 1/43 kit from Model Factory, and pushed my eyes, even backed by a 4X desk lamp, to the limit. 



I love that the images of the motor in the instruction sheet are bigger than the actual motor... Anyway along the way I picked up MFH kits of the other two cars on the podium at that same race: Dan Gurney's Eagle Weslake (first) and Chris Amon's Ferrari 312 (3rd). So two oddballs on the podium; I think this was Gurney's only win, and the BRM didn't do much better. So the Eagle was close to being finished when I set it aside in May 2021 (click here). 


So maybe it's time to finish up the Eagle, and tackle the 312, before my eyesight deteriorates any further. On opening up the box, I note that the nose cone paint needs work; sadly I put the decal on it so simply stripping it and starting over is not an option unless I find another decal sheet. In the engine compartment, I was at the stage of putting on the headers. Then it was going to be detail finishing, such as windscreen and mirrors, mesh in the nose cone, etc.


Anyway stay tuned as the micro-tweezers get a workout. Man these things are tiny. 




No comments:

Post a Comment