Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Jaguar XJ13: Engine Part 2

Fresh off finishing my first Model Factory Hiro 1/12 kit, the Ferrari 156 Sharknose, in December 2020, I tackled assembly of MFH's Jaguar XJ13 engine block and cylinder heads, including the camshaft drives which are now hidden (click here for the post).

After posting, I completed the distributor and wiring, then it got shelved as I realised I was in over my head. Since then, I have completed four additional 1/12 kits, three from MFH (Alfa P2 in July 2022, Auto Union Type C in January 2023, Abarth 1000 in August 2024) and one from Italeri (Alfa Monza in January 2023). So with that added experience under my belt, it's time to tackle it again. 

And the first step was to build up the heat sink for the electronic ignition module, consisting of 17 photoetched bits on a 5.5 mm square platform. 


This required making a little jig out of box-section styrene tube and dredging each successive PE bit in a little pool of slow CA glue. 


Next will be the plumbing for the Lucas fuel injection pump. The wire provided is very stiff and I may need to substitute something a little more forgiving. Stay tuned! 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment