Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Subaru BRZ: Complete (#10 for 2019)

Having been away from the bench for almost 8 weeks due to travel and work, there was a bit of a slump to get over. I knuckled down and finished the BRZ, which mainly required glass and final assembly. It was a birthday gift from a good friend and I am glad to have had the opportunity to build something I might not have bought on my own.



It's a decent kit, and Tamiya fit just gets better. Glass in particular is very easy to put in with styrene glue. I also tried the masks for painting the black window surrounds, and these worked well; a coat of clear before hand-painting the black worked well and the only tip I might have is to brush away from the mask.



Perhaps the only complaint is that while there is enough of an engine to avoid calling it a 'curbside' kit, the amount of detail is pretty poor, and there is only so much an experienced builder can do to improve it. As with the WRC, I assume the keener can find detailed engines from aftermarket outfits like Hobby Design.



Paint consists of Tamiya's Pearl Clear over the polished blue plastic that it came molded in. I didn't feel that trying to reproduce the Subaru blue was going to be any better.



A worthy addition to the Japanese shelf, which will eventually include some more factory hot rods from the stash, such as the RX-7 and 240Z. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment