Wednesday, February 19, 2020

'51 Leadsled: initial planning and bodywork

This Jimmy Flintstone body, meant to sit (I think) on a '51 Belair chassis, has been in the stash for some time now.



I know I painted it with Duplicolor primer in January 2015 as I wrestled with mold release agents on the Aston Martin BBR1 (click here). And it had probably been in the stash for some time before that.



Coincidentally I acquired a '60 Vette kit, which is problematic as the actual car in the kit has single headlights, not dual. Also the rest of the kit is pretty bad. So it went on to the donor shelf.



And finally this one turned up on the Frankencars and Stuff Facebook page (click here). So what more reasonable than cutting up the '56/'57 Vette to fiddle with looks of the leadsled?

 


So I cleaned up the old primer and started thinking about how to go about the surgery. I also trimmed off the character line running above the front wheel arches horizontally into the doors.



First step was to cut the coves out of the Vette using the back of a new #11 X-Acto blade.



These were used to make templates out of 0.030" styrene sheet.



The templates were used to guide the back of the #11 blade as the resin body sides are cut out. This was time consuming due to the thick casting.



The coves were put in place with lots of 5-minute epoxy, then Duplicolor Primer Sealer applied. (I prefer this to the plain black primer used earlier). Next was white Tamiya primer to give something for an eventual Tamiya topcoat to grab onto. Some minor putty remains to do but I'll wait until I know what else is needed; in particular the grille and rollpans could require some more hacking and slicing.



Next will be to build up a simple chassis. I'll use something from the parts bin and won't bother with detailed chassis or motor. Rear wheels don't matter as they will be invisible but fronts will be a big part of the end result.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment