Saturday, May 9, 2020

Porsche 904 GTS Carrera: Complete (#11 for 2020)

I built this kit a long time ago and I guess I foolishly thought it would be easy to build a better one, now that I have the benefit of much more experience. Sadly this didn't quite work out -- I got over-confident and a bit sloppy, and the old one (in red) is at least as nice as the new one.





The engine is better in the new car: wiring and detailing in particular, and the fact the original car would not have had quite so much chrome.



Paint and fit are better in the old car. The devilishly complex hinge for the rear engine cover doesn't close properly in the new car, and will have to be posed closed or open, but won't be movable. Perhaps I'll pose it with the lid removed. And I managed to damage a decal with too much clear coat, too fast. Of course both cars suffer from excessively large tires, which are a tight fit inside the inner fenders.



Car #86 won the Targa Florio in 1964, driven by Colin Davis and Antonio Pucci.





Well, on to other projects, with excessive faith in my own skills dampened. Perhaps a better build next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment