Monday, July 13, 2020

Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale: Complete! (#17 for 2020)

Complete! What a nerve-wracking experience, knowing the kit is essentially unavailable and ridiculously expensive when one does surface -- I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders, telling me not to screw it up. Sort of like the poor guy who's been asked to clean up the Mona Lisa.



As MFH kits go, this one wasn't too bad for getting things to line up, and I think I am getting to the stage of being psychically able to tackle, once again, one of the horrendous tube frame things such as the 908/03 or the 917K.






The paint consists of the usual Tamiya TS-8, Italian Red, but over the pink primer instead of the usual white. I like the depth of this and will likely continue using the pink primer in the future. For the record, I started with two coats of Duplicolor Primer Sealer (I prefer Primer Filler but couldn't find any), followed by two of Tamiya white (to cover the grey of the Duplicolor, two or three of Tamiya pink, then four mist coats and a flood coat of TS-8.



There were some scares as the paint tends to flake off the resin, a problem I have encountered in the past; the alcohol bath prior to all this doesn't seem to have made a huge difference.



No polishing or sanding was done, because I always worry about cutting through, and because I am sure new cars weren't that shiny to start with.



I cut off and hinged the front cover, making the hinge with a brass rod inside a brass tube which in turn was epoxied to the chassis underside. It all works reasonably well.



I fabricated a new grille for the rear cover. This was made of strips of 0.020" X 0.125" styrene strip, and replaces the white metal slab provided. I also skipped a number of bits of engine bay ductwork bringing fresh air from the shoulder vents to the stacks, just on the basis of them being clumsy and clunky.



Other details are documented in prior posts on this blog. So what's next? Well, a stiff drink, first! Then we'll see. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment