Saturday, August 29, 2020

Dutch Mountain Rescue Service Landie: Background

Looking back, I see five of my last six builds have been resin or multi-media kits. So time for some more styrene. A number of years ago I spotted a Land Rover operated by the Dutch Mountain Rescue Service parked outside a pub in a small Dutch town on the Rhine. It was well equipped: ropes and shovels and jerry cans and fog lamps and winches and slightly jacked up suspension. Sadly I did not take a photo, for which I am still kicking myself.



Of course Holland is not known for its heights; the highest point in the country appears to be the top of a TV antenna in Utrecht, notwithstanding the photo taken from the DMRS Facebook page. (The pub in question was actually below the level of the Rhine, on a canal with a lock leading up to the river, and may actually have been below sea level). 

 

But still one must admire the industrious Dutch for being so safety-conscious and selfless in their commitment to the security of the community. In fact I am guessing the driver was on duty that afternoon: "Honey, I'm on duty tonight so I'll be at the pub, er, sorry, Rescue Team headquarters until late. Don't wait up!"



The DMRS have a Facebook page where I have obtained images suitable for making decals, and I have Revell's lovely Series III 109" Landie. I also have the remnants of the Italeri fire truck, mainly all the emergency stuff like fire extinguishers and extra lights after the truck got converted to a rat rod, and I've certainly got bigger tires and the skills to jack up the suspension a bit. So hey, time to build a Dutch Mountain Rescue Service Vehicle! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment