Sunday, January 10, 2021

Porsche 917K (MFH): Engine Part 1

 Wiring this up was a real challenge. Thank heavens for the Panavise and the 4X desk lamp.


First step was the right side distributor and its 12 plugs. This is the side away from the injection pump. After consulting lots of online photos, which show the bundles of wires running variously under or over the throttle slides, I went for under in order to keep it all as tidy as possible. 

Then I put on the fan shroud and venturi tubes, and ran the injection tubing to the right side venturis, as it is clamped to the shroud. 


Finally I put in left side plug wiring (half of which had to run over the throttle slides, but no one will ever notice this) and injection tubing. Excess tubing pokes through the venturi stack structures and will get snipped and inserted into injector ports. Of course this won't be visible either once the little shields are installed over the stacks. I hesitate to call them air filters as I suspect there is nothing in the way of a filter here; it's more of a rock shield than anything.

Now the white tubing is a challenge. It is very small and soft, about 0.020" OD; I can just get a piece of 0.010" wire up inside it. But I don't have any way to drill out smaller than about 0.014", so connecting this wire to the injectors (which are huge at well over 0.020") won't fly. I embedded bits of 0.010" wire into the injection pump outlets with some extra-strength (20-45 sec.) CA glue from Bob Smith.


The soft white piping could then be pushed on over the 0.010" wires once the glue had set. 

I'm quite happy with this and while the "injectors" are the least accurate bit here, I think it'll do. 

Next: still more engine bits & pieces. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment