Tuesday, February 1, 2022

1951 Chevy Fleetline: Mostly done

 AMT's '51 Bel Airs are frustrating kits. 

On the one hand, they include a lovely rendition of the venerable Stovebolt 6; with a custom crossflow head and fuel injection (Styleline), or a pair of Stromberg carbs (Fleetline). 

 
 
But there are too many other bits that just don't fit, or are poorly located so that you need to really think things through. In particular I am thinking of the inner fenders and two air ducts that feed the cabin. Can't imagine how your average 13 year-old managed this one. 



Some fooling around with stance was required after I lowered the rear a bit too far, but after it was too late to really do anything more with the front. I didn't really like the gasser-style nose-up attitude, so it will sit up on its fat tires a bit higher than I would have liked. 


 
Meant as a quick pick-me-up before getting back to the 962, this one proved to be a bit challenging after all. I just need to pick up some more Bare Metal Foil to finish it up. 

 


As I frequently do with early '50s stuff, I painted it with a matte airplane colour (AS-8, US Navy Blue) with a coat of gloss to shine it up a bit. It will partner on the shelf with the resin wagon and lead sled I built some time ago. 


 
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment