Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Auto Union Type C, MFH version: Interlude with spokes (II)

The wheels were the expected grind with the usual occasional frustration getting the spoke to line up with the hole drilled in the hub, but in the end it all worked out and the car sits nice and square on its four wheels. 


Next was the grille in the nose cone. This is made of 27 interlocking pieces of photoetch. I made a jig of styrene sheet and square rod to hold the three horizontal pieces (E13, E14 and E15 in the instruction sheet). Then I inserted the 24 horizontal pieces, starting with the middle (E12) and edge (E6) strips to ensure it's all square, then filling in from there. Each joint got a drop of slow CA glue dispensed on the end of a pin.


Anyone decides to build this, I've got a jig for the grille for sale, cheap. Just saying.


And it all seems to fit!



There remain a few opportunities to screw it up, but the skill-testing stuff is now mostly behind me and the major remaining risk is me getting sloppy or, say, dropping it on the floor. Ugh. Nonetheless (and I realise this is tempting Murphy) I couldn't resist posing it next to my 1924 Alfa Romeo P2. The P3 would have competed against the Type C in 1935 and 1936.


Stay tuned! The end is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment