Thursday, October 12, 2023

1977 Opel Kadett GT/E 1900: A riveting story

The resin body on the Opel had very fine holes along the fender lips where they attach to the body, presumably as guide holes for putting in rivets (not supplied). 


So I dug around in the rivet drawer of my spare parts stash and chose these items from KMP, 1.0 mm diameter head and roughly 0.55 mm (0.02165") shank. A bit large, perhaps, as 1.0 mm = 1" at full scale, but they will do here, I think.


This set of rivets is particularly nice as there are 800 of them in a 3D printed block, unlike some of the Top Studio sets where you get, like, 30 in a little baggie. And with 20+ per fender lip, this was going to get expensive.

Next I drilled out the holes in the body, which were smaller than my #80 drill bit, using the #74 drill at 0.02250". 

 

Then I pushed the rivets in one by one, and followed up with primer to hold them all in. 

The body is excellent for a resin body, but still a little bit of putty and sanding is needed. Then it will be on to the colour coats. First up will be the roof and upper body in Tamiya TS-16 Yellow. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment