Thursday, November 9, 2023

Porsche 917K (MFH): Chassis (V)

With the Aston Martin DB3S on the shelf while I await delivery of a compact airbrush, I decided to resurrect the 917K as devised by Model Factory Hiro. This will be the car in Gulf Oil livery in which Redman and Siffert did not finish Le Mans in 1970. 


I worked on this from January to March, 2021, then again in November and December of 2022. I parked it to do something 'easier' which turned out to be MFH's 1/12 scale Auto Union Type C. So that gives you an idea of how challenging these builds can be...


A quick review of the rear suspension mounting points reassured me that it wasn't as bad as I recalled. No, in fact, it was worse, because there were a number of weak joints to be repaired. But I got the hubs mounted temporarily and the whole thing sitting on blocks; the axles may not all be pointed in the same direction but at least it can be made to sit flat on its A-arms. 


Furthermore, the major body panels all seem to fit, at least so far. So progress is being made. 


Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment