Sunday, October 22, 2017

Audi S1: Picking up after a long break

The last time I posted about this model was just about exactly a year ago, on October 10, 2016. The blog is very useful in recording what paint I used, etc., as I have forgotten by now. So getting back up to speed should be pretty simple.

The S1 was the first implementation of Audi's quattro 4WD system, and, combined with a turbocharged 5-cylinder motor making 450 hp, took Walter Röhrl to a number of wins in the rallye world. When the Group B monsters were banned, the S1 (now making close to 600 hp in E2 form) and Röhrl went to Pike's Peak and continued their winning ways.



The kit is another Profil 24 effort. With the Jaguar D-Type and Aston Martin DBR1 under my belt, I feel it's time to get back to this one, which was the first Profil 24 kit I bought.



The body, with the integrated roll cage, requires some care in detailing. I recall the turbo needed some fiddling to get it to both sit straight and fit under the hood.



The underbody also makes some compromises, with transmission and exhaust system molded into the floor pan.



Nonetheless this is looking good and it should be a nice addition to the Monte Carlo shelf. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment