Thursday, September 13, 2018

Ferrari 250 GT Lusso: Complete (#12 for 2018)

Another one hits the display cabinet. And it was a frustrating mix of crude and detailed, some of which I have already discussed.

For instance the dash was very detailed, with lovely decals, photo etched rings around the gauges, and a string of minute toggle switches. But the door panels are pretty non-descript compared to, for instance, Fujimi's 356 that I recently completed.



The next picture shows the Model Car Garage front discs that I substituted for the originals, which were pretty poor in terms of detail -- they consist of a slab that attaches to the disc on one side but that does not reach around the disc to the other side. I kept the rear calipers, because they include a parking lever, and because they are only visible through the gorgeous wire wheels.



The body itself is not my best work. More polishing would have been a good idea, but I was getting through the paint in places and would have had to start over. Inertia took over.



As well the glue around the glass is not the best. My excuse is the kit is not up to expectations, and as a result I was hurrying to finish it; a poor excuse, perhaps, but it will have to do.



What a gorgeous shape! Road & Track, rightfully, called it the most beautiful car in the world when it was introduced in the early '60s. The kit will definitely look good on the shelf with the other Italian coupes.



The shot below is the one that magazine photographers love so much, showing the simple grille, subtle fender line and thin roof pillars. It actually looks better without the 'bumper', but the goal was an accurate replica of a factory car.



I replaced the side marker lights and wipers with bits from the parts bin, because they were just too difficult. So overall a flawed kit of one of the cars on my list to buy at 1:1 if I ever won a million dollars. OK, many millions of dollars ...



Next up: the Alfa Romeo TZ1, also by MFH. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment