Tuesday, October 2, 2018

'53 Stude: Chassis

There is a tremendous amount of flash in this kit, to the point where some smaller bits actually disappear into the flash. If I thought it would be an easy break from the TZ1, I was mistaken; the scraping and filing has been substantial.



More importantly, there is a mistake in the instructions regarding the idler arm (part 37). It does not go through the hole in the lower A-frames (part 16), but through the cross member molded into the chassis. So don't glue it in, or mushroom the head on the little pin, going solely by the instruction sheet! Note if you follow the sequence, of installing the A-frames in step 4 and the idler in step 5, you'll be OK.



With that out of the way, I dry-fitted the chassis to the body, to look at fit and stance. The front kingpins have three settings and this is the lowered setting, which looks good but prevents the wheels from steering very far. The rear is stock and I think I'll leave it alone. The stock hubcaps are decent and while a Bonneville dish would look better, I think I'll stick with these. The tires are the whitewalls out of the kit; I need to flesh out my stash of whitewalls as a wider whitewall might have been nice. But the objective is a (very) mild custom, so this is all fine.



I never met an engine, especially a V8, that didn't benefit from a pair of four-barrel carbs (from the Ford Starliner kit) and ram tubes (from the aftermarket).



However, due to clearance issues, this requires a small scoop, which came from an unknown donor to the spare parts bin. This works OK because it means the white paint on the roof will have another few days to harden before I tape it up for the body colour.



So the car will essentially be factory stock, with lowered front end, a pair of 4-bbl carbs and a discreet hood scoop. Shredded rear tires can be expected.



Oh, and the backdrop? This is the Fujimi garage diorama that I picked up at the show last weekend. It's pretty bare, I agree, but I'll be adding stuff as time allows. And the scene visible through the window is a photo I took in Holland a couple of years ago.



Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment