Monday, July 22, 2019

Lotus Elan S3: Final assembly Part I

Having put aside the Elan to build the MAZ, the MAZ is now on hold while putty sets. So back to the Elan.

The rubber gaskets around windshield and rear window were the deal breakers that led me to put it aside last time. I managed a so-so job, using a two-step approach:





First, I held the rubber in place in the corners using plastic clamps. Then I peeled back the gasket and applied crazy glue (yes, I am brave) to the groove along the top of the window and along the base of the window. Then I gently pressed the rubber into place with a #11 knife. (I use the medium speed, 5-15 second glue).



Second, I removed the clamps and pushed a little glue up inside the corners to keep it all from lifting.



Overall I was moderately successful; there's glue on the windows and a bit of paint damage to fix.



Finally I'll have a crack at the 0.3 mm aluminum rod used to model the chrome strip that wedges the gasket into place in real life, but I may decide to skip it. 0.3 mm is only 0.012" so quite flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment