Sunday, July 7, 2019

MAZ 537: Cab and drivetrain

Some random progress over the last little while.

The cab now sports a three-tone paint job, marred by a couple of spots where the primer and all layers of paint on top of it have peeled off with the tape, in spite of leaving it all for over a week to settle.



I have had this problem with resin before and I'm not sure what is not working; I am sure that the Duplicolor primer sealer is a common item; maybe I need to reconsider this as my go-to base, or review my resin cleanup approaches. The Interweb insists that a tire bleaching chemical called Blechly (yes, really) is the ticket; one correspondent said Easy-Off would do the trick of getting rid of the mould release agents which are probably at the root of this.



With the cab painted, and while waiting to decide about stripping or patching the paint, I glued in the engine and the two deck plates either side of it.



With these fixed in place, I scratch built the piping to the intercooler. Bits of exhaust from the Cummins have been pinned together with 1/32" rod.



Deck plates came from the Italeri truck accessories kit.



With paint these are looking good. I have taken hose clamps from the spare PE drawer.



The cab is probably heading for the stripper, in part because I am not that happy with the paint colours.



Regardless of the paint scheme, the truck is really coming together, and the cab can be glued in at the last moment. Next will be the coolant radiator on the other side of the engine. The exhaust pipe will be finalised at a later date; I like the view of the compressor so I am probably going to skip the air filter. 



Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment