Saturday, August 3, 2019

Ferrari 156 Sharknose: Engine II

The engine is essentially complete, including wiring, plumbing and throttle linkages.



For the plug wiring, I used 0.020" (0.5 mm) wire from the stash instead of the 0.024" (0.6 mm) wire supplied.



The tubing is 1.2 mm OD but the little brass rod supplied as dowel is quite loose inside it at 0.4 mm. A heavier gauge of wire makes sense and I will use material from the stash from here on where possible. I have some 0.032" (1/32", 0.8 mm) brass rod that is a bit snug inside the tube; this would be a challenge to install but won't risk falling off after. The main issue will be whether there is enough metal to drill out a big enough hole for the bigger rod. 



The throttle linkage was entertaining given I had put on the water pipes too soon, and I had to work around them. Just missing the water filler cap, and the very fiddly hose clamps.



I am worried the carbs lean into the V a little too much and might be difficult to line up with the body panels later. There is not much to be done about it now, because the white metal inlet manifolds are glued into the resin block with CA glue, so acetone is definitely contra-indicated -- don't want to melt the resin! To be continued.



So 1/12 is not really much more detailed than 1/24, at least so far. I have struggled about as much with smaller kits for about the same level of realism. Perhaps the biggest difference is I can actually see stuff that is getting glue, this reducing glue blobs. To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment