Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Ferrari 156 Sharknose: Engine III

I saw some photos of a superb build of this kit on a Facebook page devoted to Model Factory Hiro kits. In particular the builder made use of washes to make the aluminum bits look like aluminum that has gotten oily and hot; the metal in these situations weathers and takes on a dull, slightly oily hue that, in my experience as a mechanic, doesn't come off when you wash the part in Varsol or other heavy solvents.



So on to a new frontier: Tamiya Panel Line accent colours, which are very diluted enamel paints with a fine powder in suspension. It flows on with a wet brush, and the powder heads for sharp edges and grooves through capillary action. Once dry it becomes a very realistic weathered aluminum finish. Here I've done the right side cam covers and into the valley in the cylinder head between them. Note that the base finish is Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminum.



I've also got a bottle of gray which I may use on the carbs which presumably are die-cast instead of poured, so different reaction to heat (and less heat to start with. I am also playing around with a 50:50 mix. 



It's still blotchy and another coat will be needed; hopefully I'll manage this without overdoing it. But so far I like it. It's a little late to be stripping paint ...



No comments:

Post a Comment