Monday, November 23, 2020

Ferrari 156 Sharknose: Getting back into the groove

This 1/12 scale kit is,well, BIG. And detailed. 

Last update was August 2019 (click here), where I went to great lengths to ensure the chassis would all be straight. The pause was to decide whether to solder or glue the chassis tubes. Solder requires a temperature controlled iron and low-temperature solder; I acquired both and got one or two pieces to stick but mostly it didn't work; I suspect I was afraid to put in enough heat. 

So I'll be going for the 5-minute epoxy where strength is critical. Here is the central cockpit all glued up and ready to go.

Transmission assembly includes the inboard brakes and the clutch and associated bits. This is all needed prior to assembling the rear chassis assembly, which will lean partly on the completed central chassis assembly for keeping it all straight.



With the engine and transmission assembled and glued/screwed to the lower portion of the rear chassis tubes, next step is to finalise the upper portion of the chassis as in the second photo. But first I had to drill out a load of holes for screws and rivets holding A-arms, uprights, shocks and whatnot. Then it will all need to be painted. Once ready for assembly, I'll use 5 minute epoxy which means I'll have to work fast to get it all lined up before the glue seizes up. Some jigs may need to be built or improvised. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment