Saturday, December 12, 2020

Honda RC166: Detail-up parts

I bought three of the four detail-up kits for this. I didn't buy the rivet kit as I figure I have enough rivets... Anyway I've built two and the score is Tom 1, Detail-up kits 1.

The wheels in the kit are pretty bad. The wires are flimsy and very fragile, but still too big. The Detail-up parts are very small, but with the included jig and my 4X desk lamp, I was able to put it all together. The result is superb. 


The chain, on the other hand, was a problem. The jig is fine, and dealing with the little rollers (0.034" outside diameter) and pins (0.020" diameter) went OK (again with help from the desk lamp). But the second set of links that go on the other side was a problem. The links are meant to clip over the pins, and if even one doesn't clip properly, you are screwed when you pull it out of the jig. 


In the end I gave up and went with the plastic one in the kit; but as it is all held together with screws, I could remove it and try again if I were willing to soak the chain in acetone (I used a quick drop of CA glue, as per instructions, to lock the pins to the clip-on links. 

Disappointing because the metal chain looks so much better... but I'll write it off to experience.

The third kit, which included a clutch as well as front forks, has worked out OK for the clutch; the forks are still to come. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment