Friday, December 4, 2020

Honda RC166: Overview and engine

In a fit of some kind I bought my first detailed motorcycle kit, Tamiya's excellent Honda RC166 in 1/12 scale.

The interest is due to the engine -- a 250 cc inline six (!) making 90 hp (!!) at 18,000 (!!!). Mike 'the Bike' Hailwood won the 1961 championship on this bike, by the simple expedient of winning every race he entered. Now why didn't I think of that? 

The engine is very well detailed in the kit, and if you think the bits in this 1/12 kit will be twice the size of the bits in a 1/24 kit, think again --- there are loads more bits. The engine block is made up of seven sets of finned sections, for instance. Loads of fun.


I also bought several aftermarket kits, including a photo-etched clutch assembly made up of alternating discs and plates. 



The engine, consisting of about 75 pieces, looks good and just needs a bit of tidying up. Stay tuned! But I might get back to the 156 first.

No comments:

Post a Comment