Monday, November 5, 2018

Miller 91: Bodywork update

After overcoming a self-inflicted paint problem (don't ask) I gave it a light polish, put on the decals and sprayed it with Tamiya semi-gloss clear. I figure the paint quality in 1926 was probably only so-so, and that the paint on the Smithsonian car is probably way better than original.



I also figure that the colours, of body, interior or mechanical bits, are really anybody's guess, given the non-existence of original colour photos. So I am sticking with a range of flat aluminum, flat steel and other relatively dull metallic paints for this one.



The rear axle goes in after the body goes on, which allowed me to get it on its wheels for the first time. Sadly this revealed that it doesn't sit square, partly due to a slight twist in the chassis but mainly due to mistakes on my part in assembling the front suspension.



The photo shows the problem which is concentrated in the front. A decision will need to be made to leave it as is, and display only the left side, or to engage in extensive rebuilding. In the longer term, better test-fitting prior to paint and glue may be the recommended outcome.



Otherwise I think it is looking pretty good. The little rivets in the padded armrest were a major pain in the backside, but well worth it in retrospect, and I will proceed to do the same on the right side.



Next: a range of teensy little bits such as the gearshift linkage and steering gear. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment