Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Chevy Ambulance: interior

The cab is done and includes a couple of radios from the parts bin. The driver's seat should be further outboard, centered under the wheel, but I am not going to move it at this point.



Cutting open the doors is challenging on this ambulance body as you wind up cutting into the styrene angle used to assemble the box. I guess the folks who made it (BCS Trading) weren't thinking that builders might want to open it up.



Here the angle includes a piece of the floor, as a stair will need to be built.



First was to build up a step for the side door. After I built this, I saw a bread delivery van unloading on the street, and it had two steps instead of one as I have done here, so maybe this is a big one at 14 scale inches.



With the big hole in the roof, I can now put stuff in there. I am making cabinets and counters based on photos found online from ambulance manufacturers.



The gurney and other bits came from the Chevy Rescue Van. Note the gurney is short, suitable only for people under 5'6". The padding looks pretty thin too. Seat belts or hold down straps might make a nice addition.



Looking nice and antiseptic so far! The big red thing in the corner is a fire extinguisher. Next: some taller cabinets in the corners, and captain's chairs for the seats. Not shown is a bench seat on the right side of the gurney. I'll probably draw door frames on the cabinets, or maybe print and paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment