Thursday, December 27, 2018

MFH's 908: detailing the rear chassis

What a bear of a kit! A full day of work got the front and rear suspension together; another day got most of the rear chassis together.



This includes overflow tanks, dry sump reservoirs, oodles of little pumps, filters and other gubbinses, and the potential to plumb it all together.



The issue is that the instructions offer pointers on where to put fittings, and suggest using the small diameter flexible tube provided in the kit, but don't identify the gubbinses or where they should be plumbed to ... the instructions say "refer to your own reference material". I've found some pictures online but this is hardly "reference material".



I drilled all the fitting points to 0.021" and inserted 0.5 mm brass rod into each with a drop of CA glue. Once it all sets I'll run some tubing which will simply disappear into the chassis somewhere. It won't be accurate but it will look good.



I assumed that the larger of the two tanks on the left is the dry sump system, so I connected the two braided lines, which run from the forward oil cooler under the passenger seat to the rear, to this tank.  I have no idea what the smaller reservoir, against the bulkhead, might be.



I then assumed the large tank on the right is connected to the fuel tanks in the sills. I will have to carve out the reservoir to make room for my #0-80 bolt (photo above) securing the rear subframe to the tub.  The photo below shows the reservoir sitting next to where it needs to go.



So the end is nigh! Of course it is highly likely that body panels won't fit right due to the poor dimensional accuracy to date, and if fit isn't a problem some other screwup will arise. Nonetheless I will press on regardless! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment