Sunday, March 17, 2019

Subaru BRZ: Polish and clear coat (Tutorial Part 2)

As I am treating this as a bit of a learning experience, I went over the BRZ with the Tamiya compounds. They are indeed coarser than the LMG Micro Polish, leaving a fine network of scratches, so I repeated the LMG treatment which worked well. There are no photos as I couldn't get it to show up with the little point-and-shoot Canon.



Again in the context of a learning experience, I followed this with several mist coats of Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clear at 20 minute intervals, followed by a flood coat. This variant on the standard gloss clear provides lots of sparkle, and would not be my first choice for more subtle builds.



One potential issue with the Pearl is that the nozzle, which was brand new, sounded like it was occasionally plugging, perhaps due to the flakes that give it the sparkle. So the message is to be careful to keep the nozzle clean, and don't get too close with the can.



Next is to assemble the chassis and interior. Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment