Monday, December 23, 2019

2019 in review : Shelf of Doom

Progress was generally slow on these. Generally, as well, it is final assembly and detailing that is the hold up. I love detailing engines and chassis, bodies less so... so maybe I need to start with bodies in the future and get that out of the way.

So thanks for reading, and best wishes for the holiday and for a safe, healthy, happy and prosperous New Year! Stay tuned for more.

1. Auto Union Type C

This resin kit from Fernando Pinto suffered from too aggressive treatment on my part to remove mold release agents. Soaking in alcohol for extended periods is not recommended... The resin has now hardened again and it will be time to get back to it one of these days. Last photos date to May 2018.







2. De Havilland Mosquito

Made some progress on this one recently, although it is back on the Shelf. Decals for the Spartan Air Services version will be a challenge, and I may need to make some up myself.  


3. Ferrari 156 Sharknose (1/12)

This Model Factory Hiro kit is also a big one. Looking at what some of the folks on the Model Factory Hiro Facebook page have done with it is quite sobering... I am also using it as an excuse to learn to solder, which is not going too well as I am petrified of melting any of the priceless white metal bits, with the result I am not putting in enough heat. Last looked at in September 2019.


4. Ford LN 8000 Crew cab and car carrier

A lot of scratch building here, just needing final assembly. The plan is for it to serve as a transporter for the BRE Datsuns, hence the red and white scheme. Decals may be a challenge. Last looked at in July 2019.


5. Thunderbird Allison

More scratchbuilding. Putty has had time to crack so I can finish up the surface. Last looked at in August 2018. 

 

6. Elan S3 FHC

The gorgeous chassis for this High- Tech kit from Gunze Sangyo is complete but the body has been giving me trouble, some of it self-inflicted. I intend to display the chassis separately and the body on the chassis from an earlier curbside kit of the same car. Decisions are whether to strip and repaint, which risks damaging some of the photoetched parts already installed. Last looked at in July 2019.



7. MAZ 537

Loads of scratch building here, and not much left to do to finalise it. Last looked at in September 2019.


8. Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon 8WD Super Exceed

Another stretched 8X8, this one intended to carry the Honda S800 racer. Final assembly is really all that is missing. Last looked at in March 2019.


9. Mitsubishi Fuso car carrier

Here the car carrier trailer is done but the cab is not. There is no rush as it doesn't all fit in the cabinet as a set, sadly. Last looked at in April 2015, this is by far my longest standing WIP. 


10. Porsche 917 PA

I started this resin kit from Allen James when I heard of his untimely passing. It's got paint on it but not a lot more at this point. The picture is one of Allen's from his old Facebook page. I don't have a record of when I started this. 


11. Renault 40 NM Record

A real oddball, this resin kit from Profil 24 needs touch-up paint and final assembly after I spent a lot of time learning about door hinges, made of 0.5 mm brass rod inserted inside bits of 1.0 mm x 0.225 mm thinwall brass tube and all glued in place with CA glue. I also had to get some replacement parts from Profil 24 (thanks, Alice!). Last looked at in February 2019.

)

12. '60 Ford Starliner wagon? '63 Galaxie as run in British saloon racing?  

On the bench now! Jimmy Flintstone 2-door Starliner wagon resin body on an AMT kit. No photos yet, I just started it. The Galaxie is also looking like it might fall of the top shelf of the stash and into my lap. Definitely on a Ford kick these days with the completion of the '64 Falcon. 

So I am not making any New Year's promises about finishing anything, but certainly several of these are close to being done. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment