Monday, December 2, 2019

Mosquito: landing gear and cowling, test fit

Well, if I thought the cockpit and engines were going to be the most challenging parts of this build, I was wrong. Building the landing gear and fitting it, along with the Merlins, into the cowlings were not easy steps.



Along the way I found advice on the Interweb to the effect that the landing gear is fragile and should be replaced with aftermarket bits from Scale Aircraft Conversions. I acquired the bits and while the assembly so far uses the styrene bits, the white metal bits will come in handy as I have already broken a couple of styrene struts.





The aftermarket bits include relatively sturdy items such as the hydraulic cylinders, but also the finer structural bits. Sadly these are mostly bent, so best to go with the styrene initially, using the aftermarket bits only when needed.



For the purposes of test fitting everything, I have taped the landing gear in the retracted position so as to minimise breakage. I will pose it with gear down, however.



The Merlin is a tight fit, and the green structural tubing appears to not line up very well. Test fitting the second half of the cowling helps identify where everything is supposed to fit.



Landing gear won't fit through the opening, for some reason, so I'll have to be sure to put the gear down before gluing the second cowling half in place.



Fit to the wing is a challenge as well!



All coming along now. Next is final assembly which requires disassembling first as there is a bunch of piping, struts and other items to go in before closing up the cowling. The second engine and landing gear assembly should go together more easily. (Of course I have now jinxed myself...)



It's starting to look like an airplane! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment